YOUR PRIVACY. WE’RE COMMITTED.
Protecting the confidentiality of your personal information is an important part of what we do at The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group. Helping you find the perfect policy to fit your life, with all of its little differences, is one thing. It’s the start of everything. Ensuring your privacy is a focus too, from that start, through to processing a claim. To do that, we’ve adopted a privacy code in following with the IBC (Insurance Bureau of Canada) model. This code sets out how and why we collect and use personal information about our customers. It also explains the circumstances under which we may need or be required to disclose it.
“Personal information” means information that identifies you as a specific individual. It does not include the sort of general information that could be found in a business directory or a telephone book.
Effective January 1st, 2004 the Government of Canada implemented the last phase of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA). This federal statute applies to insurance companies and many other industry sectors.
This legislation establishes rules and principles for the use and disclosure of personal information based on the ten privacy principles developed by the Canadian Standards Association. These principles recognize that we live in an era when commercial information is exchanged and circulated by electronic means. It balances the individuals right to privacy in their personal information with the reasonable need of organizations to collect, use or disclose personal information.
Our privacy commitment to you:
The Commonwell Mutual Insurance Group values your business. We thank you for your confidence in choosing our company. As our Mutual policyholder or valued broker, you trust us with your personal information. We respect that trust and want you to be aware of our commitment to protect the information you share in the course of doing business with us.
How we collect, use and disclose your information:
We and our authorized representatives collect, and may have collected previously, personal information that is necessary to:
- Communicate with you;
- Assess your application for insurance, including underwriting and pricing your policies;
- Provide accurate pricing tools if you are an agent or broker;
- Provide educational opportunities if you are an agent or broker;
- Confirm information provided by you;
- Evaluate claims;
- Detect and prevent fraud;
- Analyze risk and business results;
- Analyze marketing and communications needs and results;
- Act as required or authorized by law
We may also share your personal information with third party service providers as necessary for them to provide services on our behalf. Some service providers may be located outside of Canada where personal information may be subject to the laws of those jurisdictions.
Specific to our use of Google Analytics:
- We may use Google Advertising Features. This allows us to better track, understand and change our content to better suit the interests of our site visitors, policyholders and brokers alike. These Advertising Features require Google Analytics to collect data via advertising cookies and identifiers. The Features that we may employ are:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
- Integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data via advertising cookies and identifiers
- We may use Google UserID also. This adheres to the secured Broker Site within thecommonwell.ca. It allows us to track who is logging into the broker portion of our site but nothing personally identifiable is uploaded to Google with this tool.
We assume your implied consent for the collection, use and disclosure of this information in an appropriate manner for all of the above reasons. See ‘Your privacy choices’ below for further information.
What we will not do with your information:
We do not upload any data that allows Google to personally identify you as an individual. That sort of data includes your name, email address, or any similar information that is clearly a marker of you and you alone. We also don’t share data that permanently identifies a particular device.
We do not sell customer information to anyone. Nor do we share customer information with organizations other than our affiliates that would use it to contact you about their own products or services, as mentioned above in ‘How we collect, use and disclose your information’.
Protection of your personal information:
All personal information is safeguarded with appropriate security measures.
Your privacy choices:
Your information, your choice. If you don’t wish for your data to be collected with the Google Analytics features that we use at The Commonwell, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. The add-on instructs the Google Analytics script running on websites to prohibit sending information to Google Analytics. To opt-out of Analytics for the web, visit Google Analytics’ opt-out page and install the add-on for your browser. For more details on installing and uninstalling the add-on, please see the relevant help resources for your specific browser. Or read more about the Google Analytics opt-out browser.
We may occasionally use your personal information to tell you about other services and products, tools or opportunities that we believe may be of interest to you. If you would rather not receive this type of communication, please let us know through our Privacy Officer at our corporate office.
If you need more information:
For more specific information about our privacy code, contact our Privacy Officer at our corporate office.